Friday, February 27, 2009

Upcoming reads

Some books I plan to read over the next month or so. Not in order.

Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown.
This was a gift - a Random Act of BookCrossing Kindness :-) - from a BookCrosser in the UK, miketroll. I've never read anything by Brown, I've just watched a number of episodes of his various TV series. Everything I've seen has been very interesting. His approach is especially interesting to me because of his background - he's been there and done it and now he sees right through it. :-) I'm really looking forward to reading this.

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde and Tom Bouden. A graphic novel version of Wilde's famous play, with a contemporary setting. It looks like a lot of fun. I've only looked at it a little bit, but already I'm quite taken with Bouden's drawing style - reminiscent of Hergé ... :-)

Mr Darcy Takes A Wife by Linda Berdoll. I know ... o_O I seriously do not expect this book to be any good. It's a Pride & Prejudice sequel with a bad rep ... too much sex and too little plot, basically. But I compulsively read everything P&P-related that I can get my hands on, so I definitely want to read this too. :-)

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. A book I've been wanting to read for quite a while. I'm not familiar with the author, but the book sounds original, creative and clever.

Evelina, or The History of a Young Woman's Entrance Into the World by Fanny Burney. #958 on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. An 18th-century classic that I don't know much about, but it's supposed to be very entertaining.

The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey. Another gift ... a Christmas gift, I think, from my best friend, a couple of years ago. A standalone fantasy novel based on Swan Lake. It's supposed to be good. And it's been too long since I read anything by Misty, so it's about time. (Not even to mention how long this book has been sitting in a box waiting to be read ... I don't want to think about it.)

Millioner by Frank Cottrell Boyce. A book for young readers that I don't really know anything about, but which was highly recommended by fellow BookCrosser Jannike a couple of BookCrossing meetups ago. :-)

Nobels testamente and Livstid by Liza Marklund. Both audiobooks and both from the library. Two more Annika Bengtzon books - I'm going to get through the entire series. :-) I'm trying to read them in chronological order ... at least as close as I can manage. I just listened to two of them this month. I'm not sure if this is the best idea; some of the characters are really starting to annoy me ... ! ;-)

Relatively varied, IMO. :-) I will of course also continue with the audiobook I'm currently listening to, Tyvenes marked by Jan Guillou. Quite enjoying it so far ... as I hope to do with all these other books as well. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you got a copy of Arukiyomi's 1001 books spreadsheet?

Leisha Camden said...

No, and I wish you'd stop asking me that. You asked over on my main blog too, and the answer's still the same.

I guess spamming makes it hard to keep track of these things.